Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 6: Adventures in Dinner


I wish it were possible to upload smells because this baby smells incredible.

I was supposed to buy the chicken in pieces, but the whole chickens were in two packs. So earlier this week I cooked one chicken in the slow cooker, and if you'll recall, I mentioned that it was tasty but not very photogenic.

Since this chicken was still whole, I thought I was brave enough to try to cut up my first raw chicken, but as usual, the Joy of Cooking scared me to death. I determined instead to just roast the whole thing, slathering it in BBQ sauce throughout. This turned out to be a pretty decent strategy.

I really like breast meat and I like it juicy. I learned from cooking turkeys that they turn out pretty well if you start them out on their breasts, then flip them halfway through cooking. That's what I did this time and it's too bad I couldn't capture how amazingly tender and juicy the breast turned out.

Since I didn't get the chicken in the oven until way late (4:40), and I was anticipating an hour and a half roasting time (which made for a rather late dinner time), I utilized a seldom used feature of my oven and roasted it at 375 on the convection setting. This cut the cooking time a lot. We were sitting down by 6:15, including letting the chicken rest and carving time. Not bad.

Anyway. Totally delicious. I'm looking forward to doing tilapia tomorrow. I've never had capers before...

No comments: