Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 9: Adventures in Dinner

Days 7 and 8 got hijacked by worship practice (a highlight of the week that sits squarely on the dinner hour) and a migraine. So Wendy's and Little Ceasar did the cooking those two nights.

I think I've learned that we're a 5 nights a week of dinner family. Sunday and Wednesday nights see us all going different directions.

So I didn't get to the tilapia until last night. I was, honestly, scared. I don't love fish. I've never cooked it. I also have never had capers either. And last night I was tired, so trying out new things didn't sound very appealing.

Still, we had to eat, the fish was thawed, and the worst that could happen was that it would be a cereal kind of night if I totally fubbed it.

As it turned out, though, it was tasty and much, much easier than I thought it would be. Christian cracked me up when he came back for seconds before I was done plating Ross's fish (pictured here). He hoovered the first helping.

I also thought that one lb. of tilapia would be enough, but bought two just in case. Just as I was sitting down to eat, Rayne came home from her friend's house with friend in tow. Long story short...I gave up my plate and went back to cook the second lb. And there was none left over.

Who knew?

The meal would have been perfect if I'd roasted the asparagus the menu called for. But WinCo didn't have any fresh asparagus and I wasn't going to another grocery store just for that. Speaking of which...that's where I'm headed now, to shop for Week 2. I can hardly wait to see how much money I'm going to save...

No comments: